It was a cold morning by the Lake, so when 5:15 hit we got right to it. Disclaimer was fully disclaimed then we went straight into a set of 17 SSH to get the blood flowing.
Mosey around the parking lot then
- Crab walk into COP (30 yards ish)
- 13 crab cakes
- 11 windmills
- 23 MNCs
- 5 Finkle swings (R), 5 Finkle swings (L)
All the sets were prime numbers, for no reason other than it feels good not to do things in multiples of 5 every now and then. Also ,the Finkle Swing is a great warm up for the hip-flexor and it works on developing balance for the PAX. Plus, its funny to see everyone trying not to fall over. We need to work that into the rotation more.
PAX moseyed over to the boat ramp parking lot, narrowly avoiding an encounter with the Crazy Cat Lady and her Mercedes of doom. 11 cones had been set up at the far end of the parking lot, about 100 yards away from the start. One of the best motivators for a good workout is competition, so we split into two teams. On each team P1 would go retrieve a cone and bring it back. While P1 was running, P2 and P3 planked. On the bottom of the cone (so you don’t know what you are choosing) was an exercise and count that had to be completed before P2 could run for the next cone. Also, there was a exercise on the top of the cone (clearly visible when the cone was selected) that the non runners had to do while waiting for the next cone. For example, P1 brings back a cone and everyone on the team does 30 merkins. Then, while P2 is running, P1 and P3 do high knees in place until P2 returns. Here were the cone pairings:
- 40 SSH in cadence / American Hammers
- 30 Monkey Humpers / Freddie Mercuries
- 20 Diamond Merkins / LBCs
- 30 Sumo Squats / Lunges
- Dealer’s Choice! / Mario Punches
- 15 Seal Team Sit-Ups / Elbow Plank
- 1 lap around the parking lot / shoulder taps
- 25 Burpees / Overhead Claps
- 30 Merkins / High Knees in Place
- 25 Mountain Climbers in cadence / Calf Raises
- 13 Donkey Kicks / Dying Cockroach
Team 1 (YHC, Peg, and ©) pulled the “run a lap” cone on the first selection and played catch up for the rest of the competition. The game came down to a final sprint between Peg and Olaf for the winning cone. Peg had the cone in hand but fumbled it. Or perhaps it was stripped by Olaf. Either way, the victory cone was sprinted back, leaving Team 2 (Olaf, Iced T, and Qbert) as the victors. All PAX did the final cone together, which ended up being the 25 Burpees.
After a 10 count or two, we partnered up and did wheelbarrows along the columns at the Bowl and Bounce shops. Get to a column, both PAX do 2 merkins then wheelbarrow to the next one. Flapjack. Had to audible halfway through and switch the merkins to 2 squats.
Head to the wall for some people’s chair with 7 LBCs each. BTTW with 2 Burpees each. Rinse repeat.
Ended the morning with a little Mary, courtesy of the winning team.
Announcements, Prayers, & Praises
- Listen to the Roundtable on F3 Houston and Big Wheel. What can we do to better prepare for emergencies in the gloom?
- Iced T’s M is recently out of work – prayers for peace and a new job
- Qbert’s M and a recurring stressor in their marriage
- Sleep and adjusting to the new normal in house Homebrew
Always a fun time getting after it with this crew. I really love how everyone embraced the competition and went all out. Thanks Peg for the opportunity.