Expected rain all morning, but instead we got a comfortable 40 degrees with wetness all around us. Perfect for what we were about to get into.
Reminded the Pax that this was a Black Diamond workout and immediately had a reaction that made it clear that some were unaware lol. Since I dislike warm-ups, I got right to our “warm-up”.
1 – I’ve done this before w/ my speaker & the Seconds app on my phone (get it if you don’t have it – it’s an awesome timer / tabata app w/ the ability to add music).
- First 5 minutes of warm-up: each minute on the minute, we’re all going to do 35 really fast side straddle hops and 8 burpees. Every minute. End result is 175 ssh’s and 40 burpees in 5 minutes.
- Next 5 minutes of warm-up: no break, right into merkin mode. 11 merkins, 10 diamonds, 9 merkins, 8 diamonds, 7 merkins…down to 1 merkin. I think we were warm.
2 – 1/4 mile burpee fun: we moseyed over to the circle in front of the Middle School, which is a perfect 1/4 mile loop w/ some hills in it, which I failed to recognize when throwing this together. We partnered up and I gave the Pax the bad news. I set up my phone w/ it’s bright light stop watch timer to help.
- Sprint with your partner the 1/4 mile loop as fast you can. Why you might ask? Because when you finish and see your time for that loop, you both have that many burpees to split halfsies on. Back in High School, low to mid 50 seconds was acceptable for the 400m dash. That’s not what we’re capable of anymore – ranged from 70 seconds to 85+ seconds, which meant each partner had 35 to 45 burpees to do apiece.
- Round 2 – do it again. Only this time, the challenge was that if you beat your prior lap time, you can cut the burpees in half. Well no one beat their time, haha, so we still cut it in half anyway. Most laps were in the 80-90 seconds range this time, which meant, 40-45 burpees to split w/ your partner, or 20-25 a piece.
3 – Pretty sure after this the Pax hated my guts. From there we hit the longest straightaway I could find. Same partners as before. This time Partner 1 lines up 10-20 yards away from Partner 2. Partner 1 starts back pedaling as fast as they can while Partner 2 has to sprint to catch them. Wherever they are caught, you stop right there and do an exercise, then a mode of transportation back to the starting line. We did 4 of these (each partner chased 2x and back pedaled 2x):
- First round (once caught) – 15 bear crawl merkins, followed by broad jumps back to starting line
- Second round – 25 lunge jumps (do each leg and that’s 1), followed by bear crawl back to starting line
- Third round – 35 american hammers, followed by lunge walk back to starting line
- Fourth round – 45 wide arm merkins, followed by bunny hop back to starting line
4 – We had 5 minutes, so had to make the most of it. Quick DORA against the Elementary wall by CoT. Partner 1 does Jump Squats and the timer was Partner 2 running to wall and doing 15 Mike Tyson merkins (those are honestly some of my least favorite merkins: feet flat on wall at base of wall, merkin position, bring you six to the wall with feet staying put and then all the way forward so that your hands are almost at your ribs as you go down for merkin). Once Partner 2 finished their 15 rep count, the partners switched. Think most teams got to 100 or so jump squats before our time was up.
2 Ruckers, 1 Runner and 16 Black Diamond Boot Campers was the count. Thanks to Jiffy for the chance to do whatever I want without having to worry about how terrible it sounds. Appreciate everyone kicking a$$ and finishing it all.
- Dark Helmet’s M is traveling this weekend – travel mercies
- Dirty Harry’s M has last day of work / transitionary time for new opportunities / jobs
- Olaf’s continued progress on limiting ADHDs adverse impact on his life