A great crowd this morning at The Abyss. We had a bunch of runners and a bunch of bootcampers and 1 FNG. Those that stayed for the bootcamp probably wish the would have joined the runners, I know I did. This workout was hard and we didn’t complete it, but there is always next time…
We started with the typical mosey to get the blood flowing a bit, we circled around the parking lot and did some shuffle steps, NUR, and back to mosey before circling up for warm-a-rama around the basketball hoops. I decided prior that the warm-up was going to set the precedence for the workout (hard) and warm-up the muscles we’d be using a lot (shoulders, core, arms).
- 10 Windmills
- Elbow plank (called on random PAX for 10 counts, at least 2 rounds)
- Back to regular plank – 10 Merkins
- 9 Diamond Merkins (Q-Shame, I didn’t have one more in me)
- Recover with 25 SSH IC
- Back to Plank – 10 Peter Parkers
- 10 Parker Peters
- 6″ hold – Called on Random Pax for 10 counts (at least 2 rounds)
- 25 Moroccan Nightclubs IC
We then moseyed to the grass hill for the next exercise.
For the first routine we paired up and started at the bottom of the hill on the sidewalk. PAX A was to do Burpees while PAX B went backwards up the hill (NUR) and forwards down the hill x4. After 4, we switched and PAX B continued the Burpees while PAX A ran backwards up/forwards down x4. We did this until we reached 120 Burpees… a few of the PAX finished, most were over a 100 when I called it for time (I had another routine I wanted to get to). Our Friendly New Guy thought this was a great time to splash merlot, so he did, but he kept on trucking right after. He definitely brought the GRIT!
Congratulations and welcome Doubtfire! No better way to start F3, it’s all uphill from here!
We then took the short mosey to the paved hill the leads up to the rear gate to the school. For the 2nd routine I brought back Paula Abduls, I’ve never done them on a hill so I thought that would be a nice (painful) new twist. Paula’s aren’t really an exercise, its just a movement, 2 forward, 1 back, which is a nice metaphor on life. Life isn’t a consistent line straight up, we all have setbacks, we all get knocked down, but it is how we respond to those set backs that contribute to our success. We all know that through failure we become better, this is a nice way to build an exercise around that idea. I didn’t have the energy to hammer that point home during the workout so I thought I would take the opportunity to point that out here. In any case, back to the routine…
6 Cones were placed up the hill about 25 paces (50ft. or so) apart. We would always move in this order, 2 (cones) forward, 1 back until we reached the 6th cone and then we would work our way back. If you ever plan do this keep in mind cones will be hit multiple times depending on where they are placed, so plan accordingly. Each cone had an exercise on it:
- True Americans x10 (hand release merkin & a plank jack =1)
- Donkey Kicks x10
- Squats x25 (this was meant to be a break)
- Crab Jacks (think plank jack, but in crab position) x10
- Diamond Merkins x10
- Absolution x10 – I haven’t done these before, but they will be back. They were awesome and it was also a bit humorous watching the PAX get the coordination down for these. It’s an 8-count exercise that goes a little something like this:
- Start in plank position and perform a single Groiner (cadence “1” jump feet forward, “2” jump feet back), then Mahktar N’ Diayes to Chillcut position (cadence “3” & “4” with drop to each elbow), then Chilly Jack (cadence “5” feet out, “6” feet together), and finally Mahktar N’ Diayes to plank starting position (cadence “7” and “ONE, TWO, etc.” with rise on each hand).
Oh and I almost forgot to mention… we always went forward 2 by way of the Bear Crawl and backwards 1 by way of the Crawl Bear. Brutal.
None of us made it back down, but we did all make it to the top, so I called it with about 5 minutes to spare to head back to CoT.
With only about 2 minutes left we did a couple of Ab exercises, I called LBC’s x 25 IC and called on Bones who did another 20-25 Flutters IC until we hit 6:00AM.
Announcements, praises, prayers
Read your newsletter!
Prayers for school teachers and our children as they head back to school. Prayers for injured PAX and those with nagging injuries.
See ya’ll Monday at the Quagmire 🙂